The white, the blue,  and the wardrobe. 

“I’ll paint” I said.  

I’m dumb. I should have just sold off a kidney and paid someone.  

Not saying it looks bad.  Actually it looks rather good.  But the effort required was of epic Ben Hurr proportions.

Let’s start with what people generally start with… Choosing a colour. That bit hurt my perfectionistic brain. Which particular shade of soft mint was “THE” shade? I chose quarter tint of a Dulux colour called Ice Pack.  It didn’t have a grey undertone and look kind of dirty like other contenders.  I wanted clear,  crisp and vintage marshmallowish. Not greenish or too bluish… Just the perfect soft mint.  Nothing special, just perfect. Luckily my angst and mulling over in multiple lights paid off and it’s exactly what my mind pictured. 

White is not white…  I know it sounds crazy but I’m using the plain white out of the tin. I figured that way it always matches if I need to cover up any Toodler messes.

Now the ceiling.  This was a disaster. Back in the days this was a room I decorated for my son. The whole thing including the ceiling was a gorgeous clear blue with hand sponged clouds in white and shades of soft grey which billowed over the ceiling and crept slightly down the walls. It looked like a daytime sky.  Overhead I’d put a scattering of glow in the dark stars which magically transformed into a night sky at night.  It was a fantasy.  It was magical.  It didn’t match my new colour scheme for Miss Bee.  But it was too late.  She’d seen the glowing wonder “twinkle Star” and besides,  it would save me time and money…even if the ceiling didn’t quite match she likes it. I’m good with that. 

I did my project preparation like a good girl I cleaned the walls.  This was when the project stepped up in difficulty. This was the room Kitty had lived in until recently and her love of scented candles had left it’s sooty residue all over the walls.  Eek.  Enjo is a great way to clean green but it wasn’t cutting it on the soot,  back to shops for Sugar Soap.  That worked it’s magic until I made the fatal error of wiping a tiny spot on the ceiling. The whole ceiling was covered in soot.  Ohh man.  I decided I’d just have to give it a clean now I knew how bad it was.  Fatal error #2. The stars literally wiped off raining down onto the floor while Miss Bee exclaims “mine twinkle star room!” in sad repetition. Stars littered the floor, except for about 10% of them. That 10% were tiny dots not stars. The dots were attached as if trying to never ever be removed. Ever. Needless to say the result was random tiny chips off the ceiling. Resulting in a galaxy of vacuuming and a trip to the shops as now I needed ceiling paint. Luckily I’d already bought fill. 

Another two things you need to know at this point is I don’t like heights and I’ve got a dodgy right knee. Climbing up and down patching, sanding and painting really pushed my limits. It took two coats of one coat ceiling paint, an extra day and an additional $40.

You still with me?  Here are some photos of during and after. It is exactly what I imagined. Despite the ceiling nightmare. 

Sky ceiling

Repainting the walls.  Updating the old white (already put on a couple of years ago,  but it wasn’t the white I wanted and was very damaged).

The new aqua feature wall.  I even painted the cupboard doors using a water based enamel.  The trim is not purple…that’s the tape. 

Poor Miss Bee freaked out when she saw the carpet. “Mine room messy. Dirty”. Fear not… New carpet arrives next week. 

Big girl room is one big painty closer.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s